Recipe by Jhoy E. Meade
This is a main stay, well one of the main stays of Kittitan cooking. (dish is from St. Kitts) I haven't personally made it in years, but my sister does the cooking these days, so I'm getting it from her to post it here. Now this dish is meant for scaling. You can reduce or add as much as you want of some (most) of the ingredients. This dish has been made for two people all the way up to 45 people. Everyone makes it a little different according to their taste like most dishes in the world. Let's get started.
- 2 1⁄2 cups enriched long grain rice (non quick cook rice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 3 Maggi garlic and onion cubes
- 4 Maggi vegetable cubes
- 2 Maggi chicken cubes
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 1 large white onion
- 2 lbs chicken backs
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1⁄2 lb chicken liver
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 4 tablespoons chief green seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup dried chives
- 2 teaspoons McCormick's Season All
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion and celery.
- Cleave wings at their joints, and clean (Do not remove skin).
- Clean and chop liver.
- After chicken wings and backs are cleaned and cleaved, place in a bowl along with the liver and coat evenly with Mccormick Season All and seasoning salt.
- In pot put 2 tablespoons oil. Then add onions and celery. Sauté until brown. Add lentils, then water to cover. Stir to loosen. . (Lentils will mash away easy when pressed when fully cooked).
- Add cubes and all other seasonings to the pot, as well as all chicken parts and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer until chicken is fully cooked though.
- Add rice, cover pot and turn heat to low. At this point you will need to add more water. Water should be 2 and half inches above the level of the rice when tested with wooden spoon.
- Stir twice then cover and let cook till rice resembles Jambalaya consistency. Or in other words, until rice is cooked but still has a wet texture.