2 hrs 10 mins
I can't take credit for this winner - its a good friend's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -3 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (or combo)
- 1Heat oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven.
- 2Add beef, onions, green pepper& garlic and cook until onion is tender (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- 3Add tomatoes& their liquid, hot peppers, chili powder, salt& bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low, cover& simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove bay leaves.
- 6Stir in beans& their liquid and heat thoroughly.
- 7Serve in soup bowls; sprinkle with cheddar or monterey jack cheese (or a comb).
- 8Place under broiler for 1- 2 minutes to melt.
- 9Serve with your choice of sliced green onions, diced avocados, chopped green peppers, hunks of crusty bread, corn chips,saltine crackers or tortilla chips as accompaniments.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cook Off Winner Chili - Texas Style
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.1
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 649.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 27.0 g