Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I can't take credit for this winner - its a good friend's recipe.
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -3 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (or combo)
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven.
- Add beef, onions, green pepper& garlic and cook until onion is tender (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes& their liquid, hot peppers, chili powder, salt& bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover& simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in beans& their liquid and heat thoroughly.
- Serve in soup bowls; sprinkle with cheddar or monterey jack cheese (or a comb).
- Place under broiler for 1- 2 minutes to melt.
- Serve with your choice of sliced green onions, diced avocados, chopped green peppers, hunks of crusty bread, corn chips,saltine crackers or tortilla chips as accompaniments.
this is just the thing for chilly nights,this is a real keeper i can see why it won a cook off
Terrific Chili! One of the recipes made and enjoyed at our house during the Olympics. Have no idea if it's Texas style or not - but it's an absolute winner here in Saskatchewan! Count me in as another that loves beans in her chile - and tomatoes! Adding this CountryLady recipe to our Family Favorites Cookbook. It's that good!
This chili was delish!!! We loved it and I will make this for my hubby's chili cook off this year!! Thank you for sharing, it will be on my constant rotation.