Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I can't take credit for this winner - its a good friend's recipe.
Make and share this Cook Off Winner Chili - Texas Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -3 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (or combo)
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven.
- Add beef, onions, green pepper& garlic and cook until onion is tender (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes& their liquid, hot peppers, chili powder, salt& bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover& simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in beans& their liquid and heat thoroughly.
- Serve in soup bowls; sprinkle with cheddar or monterey jack cheese (or a comb).
- Place under broiler for 1- 2 minutes to melt.
- Serve with your choice of sliced green onions, diced avocados, chopped green peppers, hunks of crusty bread, corn chips,saltine crackers or tortilla chips as accompaniments.