Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Buy a family pack of hamburger when it is on sale. Prepare this cooked hamburger mix and keep it on hand for casseroles with pasta or potatoes, chili, skillet dinners, sloppy Joes, soups, spaghetti sauce, tacos, or other recipes calling for cooked ground beef. Time and yield are estimates. You can omit the green pepper and oregano for a plain hamburger mix if you like. Posted in response to a request.
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium sweet green peppers, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the beef; cook, stirring to break up meat, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain in colander. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Heat olive oil in large deep fry pan.
- Add onion and green pepper; sauté for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and oregano or seasonings to taste; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cooked beef.
- Cool slightly.
- Divide into fourths (about 4 cups each) or recipe size portions as desired.
- Pack in plastic freezer bags or freezer storage containers; label and date; freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in refrigerator.
Perfect! I always wanted to do this and knew if I tagged it I would have to! LOL I used all 4 colored peppers and several more spices. We ate some for dinner tonight and got 3 more good sized portions out of it. It'll be perfect to throw together with pasta for a quick dinner.