Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is easy! If you don't have a convection option just roast it conventionally and it will be yummy.
- Kosher the chicken in very cold water with 1/2 cup kosher salt for at least two hours to 6 hours.
- Dry chicken very well inside and out and stuff with onion, carrot, celery, thyme and lemon.
- Separate skin from chicken breast, legs and thighs and push butter under and smoosh it down so it spreads a little.
- Mix salt, pepper, paprika, white pepper together and rub on outside of chicken.
- Put chicken into a zip baggie and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, dry chicken again and sprinkle skin with corn startch. Set on a rack in a shallow pan breast side down (I use a cast iron skillet). Pour two cups of stock into the pan and roast at 275 conventional or 250 convection for 4 to 5 hours until the thigh meat registers at least 160.
- Flip bird breast side up for the last 30 - 45 minutes.
- A four pound bird will take about 4 hours and a five pounder will take about 5 hours. Do not judge by the time, judge by the thigh temperature.
- Serve with potatoes, rice or egg noodles.