Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from SFI Oct 2004. Untested by me, posted for ZWT 4 -Germany
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 continental hot dogs, thickly sliced (frankfurts)
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 desiree potatoes, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C Lightly grease an 8-cup capacity heatproof baking dish.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for a further 2 minutes or until soft. Add frankfurts. Cook for 5 minutes or until light golden.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, potatoes, capsicum, parsley and water. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Spoon into bowls. Serve.
This was absolutely great! I did make some changes, but not by choice. I had to use deli hotdogs, since continental frankfurters are not available in northern NH. Another mistake I made was using Taco blend cheese, which didn't melt. Also, since we don't have Desiree potatoes here, that I know of, I used red potatoes, and they were not fully cooked. I ended up leaving it in the oven for an hour, but the potatoes were still not cooked. The extra cooking didn't hurt it, though, not in the least. We loved, even my DH, who is somewhat picky when it comes to food - you know, "meat and potatoes" only. Thanks Mandy, it was wonderful.