Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve these as a main dish, or make them much smaller and voila! - yummy hors d'oeuvres!
- 1 lb crabmeat, picked over
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Maryland crab seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 fluid ounces clam juice or 2 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch flour
- Sauté celery and onion in 2 ounces of the butter, until tender; remove and cool.
- When cool, mix with the crabmeat, breadcrumbs, cheddar, crab seasoning, and mayonnaise.
- Form 4 crab cakes and flour them.
- Beat the eggs to make an egg wash.
- Dip the floured crab cakes in the egg wash and sauté in a non-stick pan with the remaining 2 ounces of butter.
- Cook slowly, and be careful that the butter does not burn.
- When golden brown, place on a hot plate to keep warm.
- Keep remaining butter in the saucepan to make sauce.
- Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice and chicken stock.
- Pour over top of the crab cakes.