Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a family tradition for Christmas breakfast in our house. Our 14-year old daughter is looking forward to this more than the Christmas presents!
- 1 cup onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 8 hardboiled egg (sliced)
- 2 cups swiss cheese (8 Ounces, shredded)
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices rye bread, Buttered
- Heat oven to 350. Cook and stir onion in butter until onion is tender.
- Spread mixture in baking dish 11x7x1 1/2 inch. Top with egg slices, sprinkle with cheese. Beat remaining ingredients except bread in bowl with rotary beater. Pour soup mixture over cheese*; overlap bread slices on top of casserole (these are the small rye bread rounds, not full sized slices). Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Set oven control to broil and/or 550. Place casserole 5 inches from source of heat; broil 1 minute, or until bread is toasted. (Party rye can be substituted for caraway rye).
- *Do ahead note: To make casserole in advance, prepare casserole as directed except - do not top with bread slices or bake. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. At baking time, place bread slices over top and bake 40 to 45 minutes.
- (We always serve this with bacon curls, coffee cake and a fruit cup).
- Bacon curls in oven: Set oven for broil. Cut 18 slices bacon in half; roll each and secure with wooden pick. Broil 4 - 5 inches from heat source for 2 minutes. Turn: broil 2 minutes longer or until bacon is crisp.