Recipe by truebrit
I found this recipe in a British cookbook many years ago, and it's one I've come back to time and time again. (I've converted the measurements.) It's a great dessert to serve when company's coming. The pie is pretty, and goes very well with whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 apples, peeled,cored,sliced
- 1 red apple, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Topping: In a small bowl rub cold butter into flour and stir in sugar.
- Sprinkle on water and mix until the mixture is lumpy.
- Set aside.
- Base: In another small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and then stir in flour.
- Spread on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top of the base and then sprinkle crumble topping over the apple to cover completely.
- Cook at 350 F for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto serving dish.
- Decorate with the red apple slices, and serve with whipped cream.