Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 lbs pork necks (inexpensive pieces) or 2 lbs pork shoulder, with bones (inexpensive pieces)
- 1⁄2 lb beef (inexpensive cuts)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 3 (35 ounce) cansitalian plum tomatoes with juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse the pork and beef, pat dry and cut into pieces roughly 4 inches square.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pot and cook the onion until translucent.
- Push the onion aside, and working with a few pieces at a time, brown the meat on all sides.
- Push the tomatoes through a strainer to remove the seeds and pour the into the pot with all the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Boil briskly for 15 minutes, then reduce the heast so that the sauce simmers gently and partially over the pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 1/2 hours.
- (If the sauce becomes too thick, add small amounts of hot water.).
- If using the Braciole, drop them into the pot after the sauce has cooked for 1 hour.
- Add the meatballs for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the meats from the sauce.
- Serve the sauce over pasta and serve the meats separately.