Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- Rinse the pork and beef, pat dry and cut into pieces roughly 4 inches square.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pot and cook the onion until translucent.
- Push the onion aside, and working with a few pieces at a time, brown the meat on all sides.
- Push the tomatoes through a strainer to remove the seeds and pour the into the pot with all the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Boil briskly for 15 minutes, then reduce the heast so that the sauce simmers gently and partially over the pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 1/2 hours.
- (If the sauce becomes too thick, add small amounts of hot water.).
- If using the Braciole, drop them into the pot after the sauce has cooked for 1 hour.
- Add the meatballs for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the meats from the sauce.
- Serve the sauce over pasta and serve the meats separately.