Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Connie's recipe from family collection.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄3 cup milk, hot
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 egg whites
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mushrooms. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, drain.
- Place the tomato paste in a bowl. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Stir in horseradish, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to meet mixture.
- Pour into a greased 11x7x2 baking pan, set aside. In the same skillet, saute the peppers in remaining oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and spoon over meat mixture.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, drain. Mash with milk, cheese and remaining salt. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potatoes. Spoon over pepper layer.
- Bake, uncovered at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, bake 20 minutes longer or until meat layer is bubbly.