Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I originally learned this recipe from my stepmom. I have added to it over the years and came up with this final creation. Great for parties and as a side dish. Of course you can add or delete to the ingredients as you like.
- 8 -12 hard-boiled eggs (depending on how much you like eggs)
- 8 -10 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup mustard (yellow, prepared)
- 1 stalk celery (diced small)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (diced small)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (green tips cut into small pieces like you would put on a baked potato)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 pieces cooked bacon (crumbled into small pieces)
- 1⁄8 cup cilantro (diced up into small pieces)
- garlic salt
- seasoning salt
- First step should be to peel and boil the potatoes.
- Boil the eggs (so eggs are hardboiled).
- I have found that using fresh eggs (just bought from grocery store), leaving them out at room temp for about 15 minutes, and putting salt in the water all help to peel them easily when the time comes.
- I generally put both potatoes and eggs in a separate pot and put them on med heat for about an hour.
- Just test the potatoes.
- You don't want them to soft, but the fork should be able to pierce them easily.
- While waiting for the potatoes and eggs to cook, I usually prepare my other ingredients.
- I cook the bacon, cut up onion and green onion, celery, cilantro.
- You can use the bacon pieces and so forth that you get from the grocery store, but I must say that the taste of fresh bacon really adds to the taste.
- Once the potatoes and eggs are done, slice the potatoes into bite sized pieces and peel the eggs and cut into pieces as well.
- Then add all the other ingredients and stir together.
- The salts and pepper is to taste, but what I do is to take the salts and sprinkle them onto the mixture (back and forth) and just sprinkle the pepper on the same way.
- I must recommend to use a big bowl and when it comes to mixing it all together, the best way is to put your hands right into it (make sure they are washed and cleaned first) and blend it all together.
- Mash it together and blend from the bottom up to the top until the mixture all seems to be the same consistency.
- All together including prep time, it takes about 1/2 hours to make, but it is well worth it.
- I have had many people tell me this is the best potato salad they have ever had and I should market it.
- Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
This is a great recipe, but I'm not a big fan of the balance of flavors. I used a little less than 1/4c mustard because I was worried it was too much- and even that was for me. I also found the sugar unnecessary, but I prefer savory foods. I recommend boiling a few cloves of garlic and mashing them into the mayo if you don't have garlic salt on hand. Thanks for posting!
I was very excited to try this recipe, based on all the ratings, however, I was disappointed. It seemed to need more zip. Good base, but I will keep searching for a spectacular potato salad recipe.
This is absolutely delicious. In fact, I've brought it to many parties and been told it's better than anything they've tried before. One man even told me it's better than his mom's potato salad. Even my husband, who doesn't care for potato salad with egg loves it. You should market this!