Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Connie Griffin at a Hope Lodge pot luck dinner. It is the best salad. Don't let the ingredients fool you like they did me. She is a great cook guys.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 (16 ounce) package mixed salad greens
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar into a nonstick skillet; stir constantly until sugar melts and coats almonds. Remove from heat when almonds are brown. Be careful because almonds burn easily.
- Mix together poppy seed dressing ingredients.
- Mix dressing with the salad ingredients; chill.
Made this today for our Father's Day cookout, and it was terrific. Everyone enjoyed. . . we finished every last bit. I toasted the almonds in a frying pan without using the sugar. Also used Splenda in the dressing and it was fine. Can't wait to make again.
Wow! Excellent and very easy! The perfect mix for a beautiful springy salad. I made the dressing the day before then tossed with the other ingredients right before Easter dinner. 16 oz of mixed baby salad greens is a LOT, so I'd increase the number of servings listed. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
this is a beautiful salad . it went well with roast chicken