Recipe by mollypaul
A delicious fry bread from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup cream
- oil, for frying
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together very well.
- Cream butter and sugar together until thoroughly mixed.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with cream to batter.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oil to 360F in a large saucepan or stockpot
- Place dough on a well-floured board and pat lightly until just thick enough to cut into thin strips 1/2" wide.
- Bring edges together to form a circle, leaving a hole in the center and pressing edges together.
- Fry until brown and drain on paper towels.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.