Recipe by Melanie Murray
This is good anytime for my family. We love apples. It's a dessert that is good for you too. Very healthy.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
Triple Apple Salad is appropriate since I made it three times back to back. The almond extract highlights the apple flavor. My apples did settle down to the bottom each time (even when I diced them small) so I think that's the way it's supposed to be. I made the first time in a small ring mold but the applesauce-y mixture stuck a little bit (sprayed with Pam) and found it to be more suited to a small glass bowl. I sprinkled a little cinnamon on my servings, which I really enjoyed. My daughter liked it, too, and she doesn't like applesauce but loves apples. Thanks Melanie, for posting. Roxygirl
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- apple, wedges (optional)
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle gelatin over apple juice in a small saucepan, let stand 1 minute.
- Add sugar; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin and sugar dissolve.
- Remove from heat; stir in applesauce and almond extract.
- Chill until the consistency of an unbeaten egg white.
- Combine diced apple and lemon juice, tossing well.
- Fold apple into gelatin mixture.
- Spoon into a 3 cup mold coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and chill until firm.
- Unmold salad onto a serving plate.
- If desired, garnish with apple wedges and fresh mint sprigs.