Recipe by Acerast
A unique way to serve spinach, this refreshing salad was a specialty of Miss Gay in our church in Tennessee. She always shared delicious food and set a beautiful table. This is made ahead the night before so you'll have plenty of time to set a beautiful table too.
Top Review by free-free
De-Lite-ful!!! & FUN!!! I have never made something like this jello/spinach salad. I found it to be wonderfully refreshing - LOVED the lemon!!! I added a bit of lemon zest in with the onion and celery...LOVED the bit of crunch in with the tarty creaminess...LOVED the spinach!!! I poured mine into a silicone rose bud shape mold to increase the fun factor...this was a cool surprise on a hot day!!! A winner - THANKS for sharing such a fun and tasty idea!!
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- lettuce (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve the gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Add 1 cup cold water.
- Stir in the vinegar, mayonnaise and salt.
- Refrigerate until the edges begin to become firm.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach.
- Add celery, onion, spinach and cottage cheese to gelatin mixture.
- Lightly grease a 1 quart mold. A ring shape is nice for serving wedges however slices from a bread pan or squares from a 8x8 baking dish are nice too.
- Spoon spinach mixture into the mold.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill over night.
- Serve cold on a lettuce lined plate.