Recipe by WiGal
From TOH slow cooker magazine. Posting for safe keeping. Think you could sub in green chiles for chipotle and peach for the mango. The photo shows it served in bowl. The magazine also suggests optional toppings of unsalted peanuts, shredded Asadero cheese, or/and avocado slices.
Top Review by kpuruhito
We loved this recipe! We made a few minor substitutions as I forgot some of the ingredients when I went shopping, but it was yummy. We substituted regular cabbage coleslaw for the broccoli coleslaw and honey and brown sugar for the molasses. We made soft tacos with them and they were great! The meat was full of flavor. We will be making this again soon!
- 1 teaspoon salt, DIVIDED
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, DIVIDED
- 2 -3 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest
- 6 corn muffins, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper over roast.
- In large skillet, brown pork in oil on all sides, transfer to 3 or 4 quart crockpot.
- In same skillet, sauté onion until tender, add garlic and cook one minute longer, add water, chipotle, and molasses, stirring to loosen brown bits from pan. Pour over pork.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat, cool slightly.
- Skim fat from cooking juices.
- Shred pork and return to crockpot; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli coleslaw mix, mango, lime juice, zest, and remaining 1/4 t salt and 1/4 t black pepper.
- Warm corn muffins and serve with pork, top with coleslaw.