5 hrs 40 mins
Mami J's Note:
This is a slow cooker recipe. The beans in it can cooked up to 2 days in advance. It may be cooked for 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours on low or 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 on high. It takes quite a bit of preparation, so it's served for special occasions. From Sunset magazine, slightly modified. Posted for ZWT 5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb great northern bean, cooked (see intro)
- 4 -5 boned duck breasts (2 - 2 1/2 lbs total)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (Beaujolais Nouveau or Zinfandel)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lb sausage, sliced 1/2 in thick
- 1Drain cooked beans and pour into an electric slow cooker (4 1/2 qt or larger).
- 2Remove skin from duck breasts. Place breasts on a bowl and add salt and sugar. Let sit 30 minutes, refrigerated. Rinse breasts well under running water and cut meat into 1 in chunks.
- 3In a large skillet, brown bacon until crisp. Discard all but 1 tbs fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic to bacon and stir until onion begins to brown. Add broth and wine, bring to a boil, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- 4Pour broth mixture into slow cooker with the beans. Add the rest of the ingredients and place duck pieces on top.Cover pot and cook for 5-6 hours.
- 5Uncover and add the sausage slices. Let cook for 10-15 minutes.
- 6Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Confit of Duck Breast and Sausage Cassoulet
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.0
- Calories from Fat 317
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 213.7 mg
- Sodium 2355.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 46.5 g