Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a slow cooker recipe. The beans in it can cooked up to 2 days in advance. It may be cooked for 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours on low or 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 on high. It takes quite a bit of preparation, so it's served for special occasions. From Sunset magazine, slightly modified. Posted for ZWT 5.
- 1 lb great northern bean, cooked (see intro)
- 4 -5 boned duck breasts (2 - 2 1/2 lbs total)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine (Beaujolais Nouveau or Zinfandel)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, sliced 1/2 in thick
- Drain cooked beans and pour into an electric slow cooker (4 1/2 qt or larger).
- Remove skin from duck breasts. Place breasts on a bowl and add salt and sugar. Let sit 30 minutes, refrigerated. Rinse breasts well under running water and cut meat into 1 in chunks.
- In a large skillet, brown bacon until crisp. Discard all but 1 tbs fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic to bacon and stir until onion begins to brown. Add broth and wine, bring to a boil, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Pour broth mixture into slow cooker with the beans. Add the rest of the ingredients and place duck pieces on top.Cover pot and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Uncover and add the sausage slices. Let cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Wow, what a treat. I had the confit on low all day and was unsure of the outcome when I returned home from work. I lifted up the lid of the crock pot to find a delish blend of beans, meats and flavors. Really something different to try. I will make this again. Crusty bread and a glass of red made this a wonderfull meal.