1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Similar to Zaar's many fennel gratin recipes, but the fennel is cooked in the somewhat spicy sauce in the oven, and the flavours contrast well. Have to admit it originally started with some leftover soup....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and seed the tomato, chop the capsicum and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- 2Melt the onion and garlic in half the olive oil until they are soft and slightly golden.
- 3Fry the capsicum slowly with the onions and garlic until it is well cooked and tender.
- 4Add the chopped onion and cook it till soft.
- 5Add chopped anchovy fillets, capers and mint and stir together.
- 6Allow to cool, then blend this mixture with the chicken stock.
- 7Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- 8Oil a gratin dish with the remaining olive oil.
- 9Cut the fennel bulbs in half and then into slices. Cut head to tail, not across, and you will be able to re-assemble each half-bulb face down in the gratin dish.
- 10Pour the capsicum-tomato-stock mixture over and around the fennel. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour or until the fennel is soft but not completely cooked.
- 12Remove the foil and cook a further 15 minutes till the sauce has thickened.
- 13When the sauce is thick, top the fennel with the grated parmesan and return to the oven until the fennel is tender and the parmesan has melted.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Confit Fennel With Capsicum and Tomato
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.8
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 488.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 9.9 g