Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Similar to Zaar's many fennel gratin recipes, but the fennel is cooked in the somewhat spicy sauce in the oven, and the flavours contrast well. Have to admit it originally started with some leftover soup....
- Peel and seed the tomato, chop the capsicum and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Melt the onion and garlic in half the olive oil until they are soft and slightly golden.
- Fry the capsicum slowly with the onions and garlic until it is well cooked and tender.
- Add the chopped onion and cook it till soft.
- Add chopped anchovy fillets, capers and mint and stir together.
- Allow to cool, then blend this mixture with the chicken stock.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Oil a gratin dish with the remaining olive oil.
- Cut the fennel bulbs in half and then into slices. Cut head to tail, not across, and you will be able to re-assemble each half-bulb face down in the gratin dish.
- Pour the capsicum-tomato-stock mixture over and around the fennel. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour or until the fennel is soft but not completely cooked.
- Remove the foil and cook a further 15 minutes till the sauce has thickened.
- When the sauce is thick, top the fennel with the grated parmesan and return to the oven until the fennel is tender and the parmesan has melted.