1/17 Photos of Confit D' Oignon - French Onion Marmalade
1 hr 20 mins
French Tart's Note:
I always have at least several jars of Confit d'Oignon in my pantry; it is excellent with so many different types of dishes & recipes. Serve it with charcuterie, terrines & cheeses; it is wonderful added to vegetables, soups, stews, daubes or as a sauce for steaks. I also use it for tarts, quiches & grilled cheese sandwiches. It is well worth making a few jars - it is expensive to buy, even in France; make up several jars when onions are cheap or you have a glut in your garden. You can make it with red or yellow onions, red onions gives the finished confit a fantastic colour! This what I use when I make my Stir-Fried Savoy Cabbage and Confit D' Oignon-Onion Marmalade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy frying pan, heat up the olive oil and add the finely sliced onions - toss around to make sure they all have a coating of oil.
- 2Cover & cook over a gentle heat until they start to colour.
- 3Add the salt, pepper, bay leaves & rosemary sprigs & cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes, until the herbs have wilted.
- 4Take off the lid and add the sugar, wine & vinegars.
- 5Bring them to the boil and keep stirring al the time; then lower the heat & simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the liquid is all dissolved and the onions are soft & sticky.
- 6You will need to be very vigilant towards the end of the cooking - stirring all the time so the onions do not stick and become burnt and scorched.
- 7Pick out the rosemary & bay leaves and spoon the confit into a clean, dry & sterilised jar & seal straight away.
- 8Ready to eat after 2 weeks, but better if kept for at least 1-2 months.
- 9Makes one x 300ml jar - the recipe can easily be increased - use a large preserving pan if necessary.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Confit D' Oignon - French Onion Marmalade
Serving Size: 1 (1417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1841.4
- Calories from Fat 787
- Total Fat 87.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2425.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 249.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 194.4 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: