1/3 Photos of Confit Byaldi
1 hr 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Remy's Ratatouille, from the movie, (by Thomas Keller, via NYT 6/13/07)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 red pepper, seeds and ribs removed
- 1/2 yellow pepper, seeds and ribs removed
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled seeded, and finely diced, juices reserved (about 12 ounces total weight)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 bay leaf
- kosher salt
- 1 zucchini, sliced in 1/16-inch rounds (4 to 5 ounces)
- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced into 1/16-inch rounds (4 to 5 ounces)
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into 1/16-inch rounds (4 to 5 ounces)
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme leaves
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1For piperade, heat oven to 450 degrees. Place pepper halves on a foil-lined sheet, cut side down. Roast until skin loosens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop finely.
- 2Combine oil, garlic, and onion in medium skillet over low heat until very soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, their juices, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat until very soft and very little liquid remains, about 10 minutes, do not brown; add peppers and simmer to soften them. Season to taste with salt, and discard herbs. Reserve tablespoon of mixture and spread remainder in bottom of an 8-inch skillet.
- 3For vegetables, heat oven to 275 degrees. Down center of pan, arrange a strip of 8 alternating slices of vegetables over piperade, overlapping so that only 1/4 inch of each slice is exposed. Around the center strip, overlap vegetables in a close spiral that lets slices mound slightly toward center. Repeat until pan is filled; all vegetables may not be needed.
- 4Mix garlic, oil, and thyme leaves in bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over vegetables. Cover pan with foil and crimp edges to seal well. Bake until vegetables are tender when tested with a paring knife, about 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more. (Lightly cover with foil if it starts to brown.) If there is excess liquid in pan, place over medium heat on stove until reduced. (At this point it may be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve cold or reheat in 350-degree oven until warm.).
- 5For vinaigrette, combine reserved piperade, oil, vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- 6To serve, heat broiler and place byaldi underneath until lightly browned (about 5 minutes on low). Slice in quarters and very carefully lift onto plate with offset spatula. Turn spatula 90 degrees, guiding byaldi into fan shape. Drizzle vinaigrette around plate. Serve hot.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Confit Byaldi
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.8
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: