Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
We had the Napa Veggies at the Rainforest Cafe and knew we had to find a way to make something similiar at home. My kids now say that our recipe is better than the Rainforest Cafe's. There is a lot of room for personal taste with this recipe, add other veggies or take out those you don't like. Our favorite is the Jicima, we could never leave that one out! This recipe makes a ton, but it keeps well. It will still be nice & crispy 4 days later.
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can corn, drained (we use white shoepeg)
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 large jicama, julienned
- 2 cups carrots, julienned (about 4 carrots)
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (I use mix of white & regular)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, julienned (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup vinegar (I use seasoned white rice vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Combine all the veggies in a large bowl. I use my mandolin to cut everything since there is so much julienning to do. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, oil, salt & pepper. Pour over veggies. Cover & marinate in the refrigerator. We will eat it right away, but as it sits the veggies soak up the flavors.
Very colorful and very delicious!
It really does taste like the Napa veggies at Rainforest Cafe. Best recipe yet! I did heat the rice vinegar, sugar, and oil until sugar dissolved for the dressing. I cooled it before pouring over veggies. I was worried that there wasn't enough dressing, but after the night in the fridge it was perfect with the juice from the veggies. Thanks for sharing!
I have been searching the internet for this recipe off and on for several years now. Who knew I would find it in my own "backyard" - the recipezaar-! This is exactly as I remember it at Rainforest. This is worth all the chopping. It really goes together pretty fast considering the number of ingredients.