Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Everyday with Rachael Ray, personally I would omit the cheese, but I'm posting as it was in the magazine.
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, plus one egg white
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, cover shredded potato with cold water and stir to rinse; drain and transfer to a towel-covered work surface. Cover with another towel and roll up to remove excess moisture; rinse and dry the bowl. Squeeze the carrots and zucchini in another towel to remove moisture. In the bowl, combine the potato, carrots, zucchini, onion, egg and white, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, 3/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.
- Heat large skillet for 1 min over med-high. Add 1 T oil and swirl to coat pan. Working in batches, and using remaining oil when needed, spoon 1/4 cupfuls of the veggie mixture into the pan and flatten into 3-inch pancakes. Fry until golden underneath, about 3 minute Flip, sprinkle with a bit of the cheese and cook about 2 min more, transfer to a plate.