Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A colourful, light, delicious, and healthy recipe from Norene Gilletz's wonderful cookbook, "Healthy Helpings". Variations: Mixture can be baked in sprayed muffin tins at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Recipe may be halved. Bake in a 1 1/2 quart greased casserole for 45 to 55 minutes.
- 3 medium zucchini, unpeeled (1 lb.)
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.) or 3 large potatoes, peeled (about 1 lb.)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites or 2 additional eggs
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch or 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grate zucchini, carrots and sweet potatoes. (Can be done in the food processor.) Finely mince onions, garlic, parsley and basil. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Spray a 3 quart rectangular or oval casserole with non-stick spray. Add vegetable mixture and spread evenly. Bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown and firm.
Directions for this recipe were accurate and clear. Based on the amount of herbs, I'd expected a more flavorful dish - this was quite plain. Nothing wrong, just more work than it was worth. Diane