Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from a friend at work. Serve this spoon bread with a side of sautéed Vidalia onions. Mmm!
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped sweet pepper (yellow, red, green)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups jalapeno pepper cheese
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Grease a medium casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- In a small fry pan, sauté vegetables in butter.
- In another small fry pan, add cornmeal, salt and milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Stir cheddar and vegetable mixture into hot cornmeal mush.
- Cool slightly.
- Add egg yolks to warm batter.
- Add 1/2 cup stiffly beaten egg whites to mixture.
- Fold in the rest evenly.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Bake 45-50 minutes.