Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Spoon bread is one of those foods you associate with the South. It's light and fluffy and can me made with a plethora of flavors. This one is kinda a Tex-Mex dish, using Mexicorn.
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Pat the corn dry with a paper towel.
- Combine the cornmeal and 2 cups of the milk in a heavy pot, stirring constantly until stiff, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from heat and add salt, butter, and remaining milk. Stir well.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir into the cornmeal. Add the corn.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in gently.
- Place the mixture in the casserole and bake until top is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.