Recipe by Battle in Seattle
Everyone loves cheesy hashbrown casserole, right? The cheese crackers inside and on top push this one over the edge!
Top Review by lauralie41
Made these potatoes for DH's Fathers Day dinner and he wants them again soon! We used Cheez-It crackers and mild cheddar since that is what I had. The potatoes were a little runny when I served them but it didnt take long for them to thicken right up. I didnt use a lot of salt because of the crackers being salty but they did need a bit more so willl be sure to add the required amount next time. Will be a favorite potato dish in our house! Made and reviewed for the Contest & Event Forums My 3 Chef's Game - June 2012.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 16 -20 ounces chunk-style frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento (drained)
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled cheese crackers, divided (i.e., cheese-its, cheese nips, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 11x7" or 9x13" pan and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion until tender, about five minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk. Add potatoes, onions, cheese, peppers, pimentos, salt and pepper, and 1/2 cup of the cracker crumbs.
- Pour potato mix into bowl, then top with remaining cracker crumbs. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbling.