Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Everyone loves cheesy hashbrown casserole, right? The cheese crackers inside and on top push this one over the edge!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 16 -20 ounces chunk-style frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento (drained)
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled cheese crackers, divided (i.e., cheese-its, cheese nips, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 11x7" or 9x13" pan and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion until tender, about five minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk. Add potatoes, onions, cheese, peppers, pimentos, salt and pepper, and 1/2 cup of the cracker crumbs.
- Pour potato mix into bowl, then top with remaining cracker crumbs. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbling.
Made these potatoes for DH's Fathers Day dinner and he wants them again soon! We used Cheez-It crackers and mild cheddar since that is what I had. The potatoes were a little runny when I served them but it didnt take long for them to thicken right up. I didnt use a lot of salt because of the crackers being salty but they did need a bit more so willl be sure to add the required amount next time. Will be a favorite potato dish in our house! Made and reviewed for the Contest & Event Forums My 3 Chef's Game - June 2012.