Colorful veggies, ramen noodles & shredded chicken will delight young & old when neatly packed into crispy egg roll wrappers. Served with an easy homemade sweet & sour sauce, they make an impresssive appetizer, a side dish or a fun family dinner.
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of ramen noodle seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded (or cut into 1/4 inch wide matchsticks)
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 20 egg roll wraps
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or less, depending on size of pan or griddle, for frying)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Remove egg roll wrappers from fridge and let come to room temperature.
- Before opening package of ramen, gently break noodles into smaller pieces then combine noodles, cayenne pepper, packet seasoning (if desired) and the 1/2 cup of water in large, deep skillet or dutch oven. Cook over med-hi heat for about 3 minutes or until noodles are softened and the water is gone. Remove noodles to a small bowl & set aside.
- To the pan, add the oil, red pepper, onion and garlic. Cook and stir until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots, cabbage, spinach, chicken, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in reserved ramen noodles and mix well.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until you can handle it. (I use this time to make the sweet & sour sauce, instructions below.).
- To fill egg roll wrappers: Lay wrappers in front of you with the corners pointing up and down. Put 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of the wrapper leaving about 1 inch open at the left and right corners. Fold up the lower corner and tuck it gently, but tightly under the filling. Fold the left and right corners over the filling and into the center. Dip your finger in a bit of water and moisten the last remaining corner, the flap at the top. Roll the filled portion up to seal the top corner. Lay on a tray or waxed paper (seam side down) until ready to cook. Repeat with the other 19 wrappers, using up the filling.
- Heat the 1/4 cup oil in high-sided griddle, fry pan, dutch oven to 350° (or use a deep fryer) and fry the rolls, turning to brown all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to a cookie sheet or plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve with sweet & sour sauce.
- To make sauce: In small saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and seasoned salt. Slowly stir in vinegar, water, cherry juice and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling then turn down heat slightly while you cook and stir for 2 minutes to thicken sauce.