Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This colorful rice is a great way to sneak some veggies into the kids!
Make and share this Confetti Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small leeks or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 3 cups hot water or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute onion for 3 minutes (until slightly soft).
- Turn up heat to high and add rice.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrot and zucchini and cook for another minute.
- Add the hot water or stock to rice and gently stir.
- Bring up to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, until rice is tender and cooking liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the salt, pepper, parsley, and parmesan and serve immediately.
This turned out well. I made it to use up a leek, which could come in handy. (It seems like every time I cook with leeks, I have one left.)
My carrots had seen better days so I decided to toss them instead of using them. (: Used a half can of corn instead (I know, I know) and had a huge zucchini from the garden, so I peeled and shredded it and used about a third. Used chicken broth, long grain white rice and some garlic powder and a dash of cayenne pepper at the end. Oh, and we didn't have any onions so I used some green ones, and 2 tbsps of butter instead of oil. AND didn't have fresh parsely so I followed advice here and used 2 tsps of dried.
Anyway, even though it sounds like I kind of deviated a lot from the recipe I think I still got the general gist, and it's very good! I think I'd like to try finding a way to make this in the rice cooker next time because I've gotten so spoiled that I always seem to over or under cook rice I make in a pan these days. Anyway, very good!
Served this with Parmesan Crusted Tilapa (#169764).
This rice was very good and I have a feeling I'll be making it whenever we have rice as a side dish. I love that it's loaded with vegetables but that nobody really notices them! Even hubby (who is anti-veggie) said he like it! Thanks for a yummy way to sneak in more veggies!