Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This colorful rice is a great way to sneak some veggies into the kids!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small leeks or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 3 cups hot water or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute onion for 3 minutes (until slightly soft).
- Turn up heat to high and add rice.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrot and zucchini and cook for another minute.
- Add the hot water or stock to rice and gently stir.
- Bring up to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, until rice is tender and cooking liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the salt, pepper, parsley, and parmesan and serve immediately.
Very good mix of veggies. I really like the fresh parsley and parm cheese. If you use stock, be careful with the salt... 1 tsp is too much for my taste.
Excellent! This Rice Pilaf made a hit at our house - one could tell by the empty bowl - and yes we will be making this again - soon! Made as posted no changes needed for this pilaf. Love when a dish comes to the table looking as good as it tastes as this one does. Thank you for another Roxygirl recipe that made it to my favourites.
Great!!! I doubled the carrots and left out the zucchini, used jasmine rice and it came out perfect!!! My husband who just HAS GOT to have meat with his supper claimed he could have made a meal out of just the rice!!!