Recipe by Susie D
This is a colorful, eye pleasing version of dirty rice. The chicken livers are optional, but my family enjoys them in this not too spicy dish. Serve Tabasco or red pepper flakes for those who want to heat it up. This was created for RSC #5.
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
This is my idea of comfort food! I made this for my son and myself, and not a drop was left over! Yes, I hear you saying that this recipe was for six servings...but my son could not stop eating it! I made some small changes due to what I already had on hand. I did not have fresh sage, I used dry; no cajun seasoning, used Cajun Seasoning Mix recipe#14190; used homemade broth(to keep fat and sodium down); used only a 1/4 cup green bell pepper. This was such a tasty dinner. I just served a simple tomato and lettuce salad and lemon iced tea along with it. FOR SURE this is going in my Make Again cookbook. Thanks Susie D.
- 1 cup brown rice, long cooking
- 1⁄2 cup black-eyed peas, frozen (not canned)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, use the amount of liquid called for on your brand of brown rice minus the broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 lb chicken liver (optional)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 3 green onions with tops, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In pot with tight fitting lid add brown rice, black eye peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chicken broth, and water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer. Check rice after 35 minutes to see if more water is needed. Rice should take 40-50 minutes. Cook until peas & rice are tender and water is absorbed.
- In deep skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter; add chicken livers and sauté until done (if using), remove from pan, chop fine.
- Add ground turkey and brown.
- Add garlic, onion, green and red bell peppers, zucchini; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add chicken livers back to mixture.
- Add meat and vegetables to cooked rice along with vinegar, 2 tablespoons butter, sage, salt, black pepper, parsley flakes, and Cajun seasoning; stir until well mixed.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions to garnish.