Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state, where the sweetest onions outside of Vidalia, GA are grown! (how's that for diplomacy!) Serve this with burgers or hot dogs. You can sub red bell pepper for the pimiento.
- 2 cups walla walla onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons pimiento, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium non-aluminium bowl, combine onions with green pepper and pimiento.
- In a non-aluminium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour liquid over onion mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Wow! This is full of color and flavor. I had my doubts because of the amount of caraway seeds. I was expecting them to overpower the dish. Boy was I wrong, you just get a hint of the flavor. I did cut the recipe in half and used the red bell peppers. Excellent dish. Served it with hot dogs and everyone including DH who doesn't like relish gave it 2 thumbs up. Thanks mikekey for a keeper.
YUM! Another onion winner! I still have some of Marinated Walla Walla Sweet and Red Onion Rings left over but I had to make these last night. I had both types of onions for lunch today with chicken. Very good like always, looking forward to trying more of your onion recipes. I think Walla Walla Onion Biscuits is up next, lol!