This is a creation born out of loving Italian and Mexican food. It's colorful, has texture, has kick and three food groups. One dish meal, quick and easy and so good the family won't mind the veggies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sweet corn (drained)
- 1 large sweet red pepper (diced 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled (diced 1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 fresh garlic cloves (finely minced or pressed)
- 1 large onion (quartered and sliced thin)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 2 celery ribs (cut on diagonal)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- 1 tablespoon basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) can pitted black olives (drained, sliced)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1Slice chicken breasts into thin strips.
- 2Place in bowl; season with salt, pepper and 2 cloves of pressed garlic.
- 3Set aside covered for 1/2 hours.
- 4In a large fry pan, over med-high heat, brown chicken strips in olive oil.
- 5Remove chicken with slotted spoon from pan and set aside into a clean bowl.
- 6In the same fry pan, lightly sauté onions and 2 cloves of garlic for 2 minutes.
- 7Add cumin, hot pepper flakes and stir for 2 minutes more just to release flavor of cumin and heat of pepper flakes.
- 8Add corn, celery, red peppers, brown sugar, Worcestershire and vinegar stirring to loosen chicken flavor bits in the pan and to "deglaze" the pan and cook for 2 minutes more.
- 9Add tomato sauce, grated carrot, black olives, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, oregano and return chicken to the pan along with any juices left from the chicken in the bowl.
- 10Cook mixture covered over medium heat just until peppers and zucchini are tender; 15-20 minutes (or the way you like them--soft or crunchy?).
- 11Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of cold butter.
- 13This will smooth the sauce out.
- 14Cook and drain pasta.
- 15Toss with confetti sauce and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Confetti Penne Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.5
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 1066.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.3 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 33.1 g