Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came about when we were doodling around in the kitchen, thinking about what we should cook with only certain ingredients. Since then, it has been tweaked again and here is the final "edition". Last edited again on 1/1/06 to add tuna or salmon.
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta (rice shaped pasta) or 1 cup rosamarina pasta (rice shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (white & green)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 ounces cooked chicken, diced or 6 ounces tuna fish or 6 ounces sockeye salmon
- 0.5 (9 ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 -2 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large pot cook orzo in boiling chicken broth or vegetable stock and water, 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, cover to keep warm.
- In large saute pan, over high heat, melt butter and add green onions, peppers, and chicken or tuna or salmon.
- Cook until onions are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add sugar snaps, cook about 2 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in lemon-pepper seasoning, soy sauce and half-and-half simmer, 2 minutes or until warm throughout.
- Stir in cheese, parsley, almonds and orzo and continue warming until all ingredients are warm and have melded.
- Serve with herbed biscuits and a nice green salad.