Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Can't wait to try this delicious-sounding recipe. Try this wonderful recipe with your next stir-fry or just by itself! Recipe is from my Kenny Roger's cookbook. (Prep time does not include cooking time for rice).
- vegetable oil (or your choice of oil, coconut oil sounds wonderful to me)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 large garlic cloves (pressed or minced)
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, minced
- 6 cups rice (unsalted, cooked)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced (drained)
- 1 cup ham, julienned
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet. Add eggs. Tilt skillet so eggs form about a 6-inch pancake. Cook until set spooning oil over eggs where necessary to set edges. Remove from skillet with a spatula. Cool; cut into strips.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet. Saute garlic and ginger. Add rice; stir fry, lifting from from the bottom until grains separate. Add water chestnuts, ham, carrots, peas, green onion and soy sauce. Continue to lift from bottom while stir-frying. Remove from heat. Stir in egg strips.
Made for the FYC tag game to serve w/a stir-fried pork dish tagged in another game. I halved this recipe & left out the peas (not a fave w/us) plus the water chestnuts just because I did not have any. I really tried to follow the recipe otherwise, but made 1 error as I worked in haste to get dinner on the table for DH who was hovering over me like he had not had a meal in days. I added the egg strips while I was still lifting & frying the rice, which caused them to break up into the rice mixture. It certainly did not seem to hurt this colorful fried rice w/a mix of textures & great flavor. This recipe would work well as a main-dish w/shrimp replacing the ham IMO. We liked this a lot & it will be repeated. Thx for sharing the recipe w/us.
I left out the ham and quartered the recipe. Very nice mix of flavors! I used celery in place of water chestnuts. Thanks!