1 hr 10 mins
I adapted this from the Jalapeno Cornbread in Ann Hodgman's Beat This Cookbook (which is a MUST BUY!) The low fat suggestions are mine; I also doubled the cheese and added the onions, scallions, garlic, and hot sauce. The orinal recipe calls for canned jalapenos only, but I like to use fresh and add some extra color with serranos. Also, the original recipe calls for a 9X13 pan, but I found that it was too flat, hence the smaller pan and longer cooking time. I haven't tried it yet, but some crumbled cooked bacon or real bacon bits would taste really good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream or 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup corn oil or 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels or 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (I usually reduce by half)
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot peppers, seeded and minced (a blend of serrano and jalapeno is colorful and tasty)
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 3 -5 dashes mild hot sauce (such as Red Hot or Tabasco)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9X9 square pan.
- 2Beat the eggs or egg substitute in a large bowl, beat in next 4 ingredients.
- 3In a smaller bowl, combine the next 3 ingredients.
- 4Then beat the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, Stir in the cheese, vegetables and hot sauce.
- 5Pour into pan and bake, approximately 40- 50 minutes.
- 6Check doneness with fork or toothpick.
- 7Remove from oven.
- 8Top with butter pat and move it around until evenly coated.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Confetti Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.0
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 132.3 mg
- Sodium 1200.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 13.2 g