Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Oh YUM! This recipe is Thai inspired. I have even served it to my Thai DIL and she loved it. The original recipe is from BHG, April 2002, $400 winner! I have made adjustments and rearranged the directions so that the veggies are not overcooked.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, less works
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 carrots, course shred
- 2 cups small broccoli florets (*I do not use)
- 1 medium red sweet bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
- 2 (3 ounce) packages chicken-flavored ramen noodles, broken with flavor packets
- 2 cups snow peas, halved
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 bunch fresh basil, slivered, set aside
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1" cubes.
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven, over medium heat, add 1 T oil and cook chicken until no longer pink and lightly brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove cicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan, add garlic, ginger, curry paste, and cumin, cook and stir for 30 seconds. *WATCH THE FUMES*.
- Stir in coconut milk, water, lime juice, flavor packets, soy sauce, carrots, corn and red bell peppers. Add cooked chicken. Stir. Continue cooking until veggies crispy tender for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add broken noodles. When they become tender in about 5 minutes, add pea pods, basil and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.