Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Betty Crocker ... I am posting the recipe as it is on the website, but I didn't follow it exactly. I used Duncan Hines' butter golden recipe cake mix and frosting. I didn't use Betty Crocker sprinkles or icing either, and I didn't measure my sprinkles!! This is a very cheerful-looking cake, so it would probably go well with a child's birthday party. Prep time includes cooling time for the cakes.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxbetty crocker supermoist white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) bottlebetty crocker decors rainbow mix candy sprinkles
- 1 (1 lb) containerbetty crocker rich & creamy vanilla frosting
- 2 -4 different colors betty crocker decorating icing (in 4.25-oz tubes)
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease bottoms only of 2 (8-inch or 9-inch) round cake pans with shortening (do not spray with cooking spray).
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Reserve 1 tablespoon candy sprinkles for decoration. Stir remaining sprinkles into batter. Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch rounds 27 to 32 minutes, 9-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Spread 1/3 cup frosting over layer. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Decorate top edge of cake with decorating icing in random squiggly pattern, overlapping colors. Sprinkle reserved candy sprinkles over top of cake.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Use 9-inch pans. Bake 28 to 33 minutes.