Recipe by Sassy Cat
Betty Crocker recipe I tweaked to my taste. You could add chicken, turkey, crab or shrimp for a one skillet meal.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms (4 oz)
- 2 medium green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 2⁄3 cup broccoli
- 2⁄3 cup red bell pepper (or a combo of fresh or frozen veggies)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook rice, mushrooms and onions in margarine about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in water, salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 50 minutes or until rice is tender; drain if necessary. (if you are using fresh vegetables, stir them into the rice after about 35 minutes).
- Stir in vegetables and lemon juice.
- Heat uncovered, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Serve with soy sauce for added flavor.