This salad, incorporating healthful beans, brown rice and crunchy veggies, is so pretty and tasty. I have called for pre-cooked brown rice and not taken it into account in the cooking time of this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried onion, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon if using granules)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried garlic granules (or 1 small clove, very finely chopped)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups brown rice, precooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 cup parsley or 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped into size of kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup orange bell pepper, chopped into size of kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, cut into cubes size of kidney beans
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Combine all salad ingredients and toss in vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt and vinegar, if you feel it necessary.
- Allow salad to marinate in refrigerator for 1/2 an hour before serving. Toss again before serving.