Recipe by LorenLou
This recipe is attributed to Paula Deen, but I got it from another internet source. This soup has a bit of a sweet taste, so don't be surprised, but is a great, quick soup to make and delicious with some hot, crusty French bread.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Different, but very good. I should add that this whole recipe rides pretty much on the quality of the baked beans used, because that's where most of the flavor comes from. I used leftover homemade baked beans that were made with bacon. I used turkey smoked sausage just to lighten the fat a bit. Great use for leftovers! Thanx!
- 2 slices bacon, sliced 1/2-inch, pieces (I used venison bacon)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans (I prefer Bush's or Allen's)
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch, pieces, then cut in halves
- 1 cup half & half light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the margarine in a large saucepan, then fry the bacon pieces in it until just beginning to crisp.
- Add the garlic, onion and green pepper. Cook until the veggies are wilted.
- Gently stir in the beans and sausage, and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half, and simmer about 10 more minutes.