Prep 0 mins
Cook 6 mins
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat until light. Add egg and vanilla.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients. Stir just until mixed.
- Refrigerate. Roll, cut and bake for 6 minutes at 350° on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cool, frost and decorate.
- Variations: Spread unbaked shapes with egg white and decorate with sprinkles-then bake. Add 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans here in Texas). Roll in 1" balls.
- Bake, cool and toss in a paper lunch sack with confectioner's sugar to coat. Roll dough in 1" balls.
- Bake, cool and toss in paper bag with sugar/cinnamon mixture to coat. Add 1 cup of candied fruits to dough.
- Roll in 1" balls. Bake and cool.
- Divide dough in half.
- Color dough and use dough as basis of pinwheel cookies or checkerboard cookies.
This makes a delicious sugar cookie. I added 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract along with the vanilla for a unique taste.
These cookies were a hit - I made them to share with the office as a Christmas treat, and they disappeared in mere moments. Be very sure to roll the dough thin - other wise it will spread in the oven and your cookies will all mush together! They still taste great, but didn't look so hot...thanks for, finally, a great sugar cookie recipe!
I used these as a basis for Snickerdoodles cookies as the recipe called for a sugar cookie dough to start with. This is AWESOME! Thanks for an easy-to-make treat. I will make these as plain sugar cookies as well. Great job!