Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Coney islands are served often at fairs. This meat mixture also makes excellent sloppy joes. Fast and easy.
- Cook beef, onion and green pepper until meat is browned.
- Add tomato sauce, water, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Cover frankfurters in cold water in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Place frankfurters in warm buns.
- (or top hamburger buns with meat mixture).
- Top each with meat mixture.
I had a pound of meat, so I doubled everything else. After the spices were in, it seemed a bit bland to me, so I added 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and ketchup to taste. I also added a sprinkle of hickory smoke flaver powder (from Great American Spice Company) and then let it simmer until it was thick. I just used it as a sloppy Joe on a homemade bun. It was really tasty! The green pepper added a very nice touch. It was fast and I almost always have those ingredients on hand. Will be making again. Karen, thank you again for another great recipe!
Great easy recipe with clear instructions. I did do one thing differently I cooked the weiners in the hamburger sauce instead of boiling them separately in water. Simmered them in the sauce for about 10 minutes. Very delicious Karen - thanks for posting the recipe