Recipe by internetnut
My family really enjoyed this hot dog sauce. I got the recipe from Copy Kat Chat. The recipe comes from From Everything Tastes Better With Garlic.
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed chopped garlic
- 14 1⁄2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces ground chuck, cooked and crumbled
- 4 -6 large white hot dog buns, split but not separated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 4 -6 large hot dogs, grilled
- 1 small sweet onion
- tangy yellow mustard (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce -.
- In a skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and stir one to two minutes, do not brown.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, garlic mixture, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, paprika and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, continue to simmer about 1 1/2 hours (until thick). Stir in crumbled meat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and chili powder.
- To assemble the hot dogs –.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, butter the buns and toast until golden. Add hot dogs to buns, spoon sauce and garnish with onion and mustard.
- Variation –.
- Damn – Good Sloppy Joe
- Cook the sauce as described above using 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck, simmer long enough to spread on a sandwich.