Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a Peruvian recipe from http://peru-recipes.com. Posted for ZWT7. The original recipe uses peanuts roasted and ground. Although I have not made this recipe I think you could substitute peanut butter and better still if you can find roasted peanut butter. I would substitute about 400g prepared peanut butter but that is really and guestimation. If you don't like it hot, leave out the chilli.
- 500 g peanuts, roasted and ground
- 2 rabbits, cleaned and cut in pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 chili, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 -3 cups water or 2 -3 cups stock
- Marinate the rabbit for 12 hours in vinegar seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin and 2 bay leaves.
- After that time, remove and dry well. Heat oil and butter and add onion and chilli. Sauté a few minutes, add the rabbit pieces and fry until golden.
- Add about 2 to 3 cups water or broth, roasted peanuts and cook until tender. This will depend on the toughness of the rabbits. 1 1/2 hours should give you a tender meat.
- Serve hot with grained white rice.