Prep 50 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Easy to make and served in sugar cones, replacing cannoli shells! From Food Network Magazine, June, 2011. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1⁄3 cup bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 sugar ice cream cones
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped
- Put the ricotta in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl. Refrigerate 30 minutes to drain.
- Transfer the ricotta to a large bowl. Add the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and almond extracts, and the orange zest and beat with a mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Fold in 3 Tbsp chopped chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate until thick and cold, at least 1 hour.
- Transfer the ricotta mixture to a resealable plastic bag. Snip off one corner and pipe the mixture into the cones. Gently press the remaining chocolate and the pistachios into the ricotta mixture.
- Dust the cones with confectioners' sugar.
- You can fill the cones up to 4 hours in advance, cover and refrigerate, then dust with sugar just before serving.
I wasn't sure what to expect since I don't recall ever having eaten a real cannoli, but these were very good. I used Creamy Ricotta Cheese (Homemade) instead of storebought ricotta, and I used light cream cheese. I omitted the pistachios (didn't have any, and don't really care for them anyhow). I did notice that the filled cones softened up by the time I finished taking a couple of photos, but I might not have drained my ricotta enough. No matter, though -- they weren't soggy, just not very crispy anymore. Now I'd like to try these with chocolate-dipped cones! Thanks for posting! Made for the Emerald City Shakers for ZWT7
I love cannoli, and these are a great substitute for the "real" thing! Very easy to make - I omitted the almond flavoring and orange zest and used extra vanilla. I also used Scharfenberger cocoa nibs as my chocolate morsels - yum! Made for ZWT7.
thank you for posting this recipe, you beat me to it. next time i am going to substitute mini semi sweet morsels for the bittersweet chocolate and increase the ricotta cheese and eliminate the cream cheese.