Recipe by Maura666
If you streak or lighten your hair, try this masque! I've been making and using it since I first started dying my hair (more years than I care to admit). My hair is dark with red undertones, so I use the tea and grenadine together. If you have your haircolor's "extra" item handy, do try it.
Top Review by 89240
This worked pretty well. I have medium brown hair, and just used a tablespoon of normal brewed black tea, as I didn't want it to change my hair color at all. I used 3 drops of lemon essential oil and it smelled really good. You're definitely right when you say it doesn't need further conditioning after shampooing, this is really rich stuff. I shampooed my hair twice, and after it finished air drying, it looked slightly oily. Two days later, my hair is still soft feeling, and it looks pretty shiny, not oily. I would reccomend shampooing your hair 3 times to ensure you get all of the mixture out. I'll be making this again, thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 -4 drops orange essential oils
One of the following optional additions
For blonde hair
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For dark hair
- 1 tablespoon strong-steeped black tea
For red hair
- 1 tablespoon grenadine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a glass bowl, whisk all ingredients (except olive/canola oil) together until well-blended.
- Add the oil by pouring a thin stream into the bowl as you whisk the mixture.
- This helps the oil to emulsify and blend well with the other ingredients.
- Work the mixture into your hair, paying special attention to the ends.
- Put any unused portion in refrigerator.
- Cover hair with shower cap, and leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly, and shampoo hair as usual.
- You may need to shampoo twice, but further conditioning is not necessary.