Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
In the hot, humid summer months, I prefer to have a cool, refreshing salad for dinner. This happens to be one of my favorites.
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna in vegetable oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, quartered lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured green olives, pitted
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, coarsely grated (or parmesan cheese)
- Turn tuna out onto saucer without flaking.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon each oil and lemon juice and season lightly with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature to marinate.
- Just before serving, combine tomato, bell peppers, cucumber, onion, garlic, and herbs in mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tablespoon each oil and lemon juice and season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Add tuna and toss once.
- Make a bed of romaine leaves on serving platter and spoon salad on center.
- Arrange eggs around edge and sprinkle with olives and cheese.
This salad is absolutely outstanding! Such wonderful flavor packed into a light and fresh salad. I don't care for raw onion so left it out, otherwise made as directed. Filling, healthy and flavorful - just loved this - thanks for sharing a keeper!
This made for a light and wonderful lunch for me and DH. Such fresh flavors that really compliment each other. Like another reviewer I did add more lemon for personal preference but other than that made as directed. Love the color and presentation too. We'll be making this one again. Made for Best of 2012 Game
I loved this! I added a little more lemon juice because I really liked it with the tuna and tomatoes. Very refreshing but filling salad. Would be good with a sprinkle of red vinegar I'll bet. I think I' skip the bell pepper next time I'm not very fond of it. Terrific with cheese toast fingers on the side. Thanks a bunch.