Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you don't want to use the sodium riddled canned soup varieties, just try this...maybe you'll never go back! Please note, this is a CONDENSED version of the soup...it's meant to be thick and not intended to eat straight!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup milk (low-fat is okay)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetables, finely chopped (whatever your "of" is needed i.e. mushroom, celery, chicken, onion, potato, broccoli, cauliflower, e)
- In a small saucepan, put butter and the "of" ingredient and cook until soft, not just tender. (If using chicken, just make sure it's cooked through).
- Add flour and stir together. (It will be thick).
- Slowly add stock while stirring or whisking to avoid lumps.
- Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes until thickened. (If it seems too thick, you can add a tsp or so more broth, just don't forget, you've still got milk to add).
- Add milk and salt and pepper and stir until combined and thick.
- Taste to know your seasonings prior to using it in a recipe so you can adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Remember, you can combine ingredients to make a blend, or add garlic, etc, to make a cream of mushroom with garlic, etc.