Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this interesting recipe by request. It's great to have on hand and you can adjust the seasonings to suit yourself! =)
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, more to taste
- Using an air tight container combine dry milk, cornstarch, onion flakes, pepper and chicken bouillon.
- If desired also add basil and thyme.
- Mix well.
- When using the mix combine 1/3 cup of the mix with 1 1/4 cups of water in saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
Made tonight and really like the convenience, ease, cost. However, I will be leaving out the basil and thyme as I felt additional seasonings didn't go with the dish I was making. I would rather just add seasonings to individual dishes. Thanks so much for this.
I found a 32 oz pack of dried milk for $3 (less than the 12oz size). I also found a packet of gluten free, vegetarian, no msg, mushroom sauce mix for $1 that I used in place of the boullion. The sauce mix was 1/2 cup & had starch in it so I cut the cornstarch back to 1/2 cup. Everything else I had on hand. It's awesome, little mushroom flavor, great upgrade from the can. I figured it cost me $2 & it will replace 10 cans. Great value & much healthier, besides the chemicals, healthy request cream of mushroom has 5g fat, 1025mg sodium per can. Mine has per "can" 2.4g fat & 217mg sodium.
Can't believe I didn't rate this. I have used it many times over the winter and LOVE IT!! I use cream of mushroom soup all the time and this is a winning recipe for me. Thanks for sharing!