Recipe by Tea Girl
Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup is very uncommon here and is therefore pretty expensive. Here is what I use instead, it would also be good if you prefer not to use the highly processed version and would be a good way to reduce salt if you use low sodium broth or could be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth
Top Review by Fran B.
Fabulous!! I'll never buy a can of COM soup again! I rarely buy canned because of the sodium, but once in awhile a recipe calls for it. Today was that day and no COM! Ahhhh! Going to the store wasn't an option, so I started looking and found this recipe. It was PERFECT. Thank you so much!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced (this seems to me to be about what it looks like from the can, you can always add more or less as you)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup broth (I use chicken but the recipe I based this on the first time suggested beef, it works well with real ) or 1⁄2 cup bouillon (I use chicken but the recipe I based this on the first time suggested beef, it works well with real )
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I have never done this with skim, it works well with 1.5% and whole milk)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Saute mushrooms until cooked through.
- Stir in flour a little at a time until a paste is formed and remove from heat.
- Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep mixture smooth.
- Return to the heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I find it usually doesn't need salt and only a couple of dashes of pepper.